Studying in the US...


posted by Unknown on

2 comments

Two posts in the same night...I told you I was bored...

Here's a post on what to do if you have any dreams of pursuing your postgraduate studies in the US..

Let me give you a warning though, I think US universities have the most troublesome & difficult application process out of all the universities in other countries...So you have to really want it, and be dedicated because this aint a walk in the park...It's a long process...

Before you start applying to your chosen university..you have to complete all the test required for the application..


Step 1: Complete all required tests

  • Test 1: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
         This is basically an English test divided into 4 sections: Listening, Speaking, Reading & Writing  which take a total of about four and a half hours to complete. TOEFL can be done via two methods, paper based (pbt) and internet based (ibt). Most test centers nowadays only offer TOEFL ibt. The fee for this test is USD180.

        Personally, I think if you did a sufficient amount of studying (I think I took 2-3 weeks to finish), you'll do fine. The hardest part was memorizing all the vocabulary, and also practicing on how to write an excellent essay. To register for this test, or to find more information, check out the link below:


http://www.ets.org/toefl/

Owh yeah, take note that your results are valid for two years only. For the US, the universities prefer TOEFL to IELTS, but if you have already done your IELTS you can ask the university if they'll accept your results.

  • Test 2: Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
       Now, the GRE is something I detest. Its really2 hard. To me, I mean. I don't have a super genius brain, so I had to study very2 hard for this test. I even had to take it two times, because the first time I took it my marks weren't satisfying.

I took almost 2 months to study for the 2nd time I did this test, & even after that my marks weren't as excellant as I hoped.

The GRE consist of 3 sections: verbal, quantitative & analytical writing. All sections are equally tough. Your results will be valid for 5 years. The cost for this test is USD175. For more info on the GRE, go surf:

http://www.ets.org/gre

Conclusion: Both tests are equally important for your university application. A lot of the good graduate schools have very high benchmark scores for you to even qualify for applying, so try to achieve excellent results.


Step 2: University Applications

Once you've done all the required tests, you can now go ahead with your university application. I won't go into 'how to choose a university' because I think you'll be smart enough to google all the university rankings & figure out which university suits you & the field you are taking best.

Most universities use an online system for applications, & here are a few things that you have to prepare for your application:

  1. Your personal information  (working experience, your background, your educational history & etc) that you have to fill in their online form
  2. Your score reports for both TOEFL & GRE. You can find out how to send your score reports by checking out the links I provided for TOEFL & GRE.
  3. Transcripts. The universities usually want your original official transcripts sent directly from the institution that you did your bachelor's degree. You have to contact your university & ask them to reprint your transcript & than courier them to the respective university that you are applying to.
  4. Letter of Recommendations (LOR). Most universities require 3. So go back & contact your lecturers. They'll have to fill an online form which they will use to evaluate your performance. 
  5. Personal statement. This is an essay that you have to write. They'll usually ask you to elaborate on your personal background, your career goals & what you can contribute to the university, or to your country. Now, I know a lot of us have a problem with grammar. So I usually hire professionals to proof read my essay. Here's a trusted site for you to check out. I have used their service many times, and so far I have never been disappointed.
  6. Application fee. Yup! It ain't free..you have to pay the processing fees which amounts to about 60USD~100USD.
So that's probably it. I think I covered all the general stuff. Some universities may require other things though. Good luck in your applications, and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any more questions. I'll try to help you out the best I can.

Probably one day I'll cover on 'scholarship applications'...adios amigos~

2 comments

Leave a Reply