Dartmouth..The Green Ivy...


posted by Unknown on ,

No comments

Hey guys...

So I decided to dedicate a post to Dartmouth..as I'll a student here starting this september..

Since this post is written before I've even been to Dartmouth, all the facts and images will be taken from the internet (tq mr.google!!). I'll try to summarize only the most interesting facts for you guys okay~

Warning: This will be a long post and it'll probably make you yawn. But I really hope this post will at least aid whoever is interested in pursuing their studies in an Ivy League.

So here it goes...

Dartmouth College is a private institution that was founded in 1769. The institution comprises a liberal arts college, Geisel School of Medicine, Thayer School of Engineering, and the Tuck School of Business, as well as 19 graduate programs in the arts and sciences.

Dartmouth College is a member of the Ivy Leagues. Dont know what that is? No worries...

The Ivy League is an athletic conference comprising eight private institutions of higher education in the Northeastern United States. The eight institutions are:

1) Brown University
2) Columbia University
3) Cornell University
4) Dartmouth College
5) Harvard University
6) Princeton University
7) University of Pennsylvania
8) Yale University

The term Ivy League also has connotations of academic excellence, selectivity in admissions, and social elitism. Ivy League schools are often viewed by the public as some of the most prestigious and are often ranked amongst the best universities in the United States and worldwide. (ok cukuplaa pasal ivy league ..don't want people thinking i want to show off).

Since I'll be taking engineering management..I'll be going to classes at the Thayer School of Engineering and the Tuck School of Business. Here are some pics of tuck and thayer:

Tuck


Thayer (I'm from an engineering backgorund so please excuse me for being biased by having more pics of thayer):







Ranking Information of Dartmouth College:

  • No 11 in the United States (2012)
  • Rated No 1 in Best Undergraduate Teaching (2012)
  • No 90 in Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2011-2012 (takde laa terre sgt antara uni2 dalam dunia ni kan, saje je nk selective lebih2..ahaha..but honestly i think one of the main concern of Dartmouth's selectivity is because of it's small campus..rasenya ade dalam 5000 org student shj)

Some fun facts about Dartmouth:

  • Howie Archibald (Nate Archibald's father from Gossip Girl) and Meredith Grey from Grey's Anatomy choose Dartmouth College as their alma mater.
  • The creater of Grey's Anatomy, Shonda Rhimes is an alumni of Dartmouth
  • Dartmouth alumni serving as CEOs or company presidents include John Donahoe (eBay), Louis V. Gerstner, Jr. (IBM),Donald J. Hall,Sr. (Hallmark Cards),Jeffrey R. Immelt (General Electric), Grant Tinker (NBC),and Brian Goldner (Hasbro).
  • Its a veeeeery selective school..only 11.7 % out of all applicants recieve admission. I had to slap myself when I was told I got in. Even my dad cried~
  •  Students enrolled are 50% men, & 50% women (talk about gender equality~)
  • Dartmouth was originally an all men's institution, & began admitting women as full-time students and undergraduate degree candidates in 1972 amid much controversy

I had to go through a very long application process, with more than 10 pages to fill in the online application form, plus 2 essays (usually you only have to submit one essay, which is your personal statement if you apply to a university in the US). I think I took a week to complete all my essays and the online application. I also had to go through a very nerve wracking interview (through skype) with the associate directer of the program I'm taking.

And Alhamdulillah, I got admitted. And I cant wait to start my journey at Dartmouth.

Owh yeah , the header of my blog is actually a picture of Dartmouth's campus, I have to walk through that park to reach Thayer School.

Believe me, I read all the student's review about Dartmouth College (DC) through & through. DC got a grade of A- by the students, with 88% of the students stating that they'd come back to this college if they had the chance. I think the major turn-off is the surrounding city, as DC is located in a rural area in New Hamsphire (NH), USA. (refer to the pink color on the map below). From DC, it takes two hours to reach Boston & 5 hours to reach New York City.

Hrmm, maybe I'm destined to study in rural areas. (I did my undergraduate studies in University Technology Petronas, which was 45 minutes away from the closest town).

So I think thats enough for now. I'm sorry if I've said too much, and I'm sorry if this entry is so boring. I hope I've inspired at least one person to further their studies overseas. It wasnt easy to get where I am today, and I was so close to giving up. I'm glad I didn't.

Take care everyone. Taaa~ Here's some more pics for those who are interested.





Leave a Reply